Area: 316 sq km (spread over 3 quaint islands)
Malta - Length: 27.359 kms
Width: 14.480 kms
Gozo - Length : 14.484 kms
Width: 7.242 kms
Malta - Shoreline: 196.80 kms
Gozo - Shoreline: 56.01 kms
Climate: Mediterranean climate with mild, rainy winters and hot dry summers. Sunny climate with a daily average of 6 hours sunshine in mid-winter to more than 12 hours in summer.
Descendants: Maltese are descendants of ancient Phoenicians and Carthaginians. The islands’ 7000 year history has seen a succession of foreign conquerors ruling the island until independence in 1964.
Official languages: Maltese and English
European Union Member since May 2004
Currency: Euro (2008)
GDP per Capita (€): 15,300 (2011)
Economic Sectors: Tourism, high value added manufacturing, life sciences and pharmaceuticals, ICT, financial services, education and training, creative arts, Aviation, Maritime.
Main trading partners: Italy, Uk, France, German, Singapore, and US
Labour force: 165,000
Unemployment: c. 6%
Departing tourists: 1.5 million (Dec 2012)
Principal Religion: Roman Catholic
Other religious denominations are also represented with places of worship.
Head of State: President – Dr George Abela
Head of Government: Prime Minister - Dr Joseph Muscat
Ruling Party: Labour Party
International dialling code: +356
Internet: Domain suffix for Malta is .mt
Weights & Measures: Metric
Electricity Supply: Conforms to UK standards (230 volts AC, 50 Hz). (UK style three-pin plugs and sockets are used).
WEF Global Competitiveness Report (out of 144 countries)
- 8th – Fixed Telephone Line/100 pop.
- 13th – Soundness of Banks
- 14th – Business Costs of Crime & Violence
- 15th - Broadband Internet Subsriptions/100 pop.
- 15th – Financial Market Development
- 15th - Quality of Port Infrastructure
- 16th – Business Impact of Rules on FDI
- 16th – Strength of Auditing & Reporting Standards
- 16th - Quality of Educational System
- 17th – Ease of Access to Loans
- 19th - Health & Primary Education
- 21st – FDI & Technology Transfer
- 21th – Technological Readiness
- 24th – Financing through Local Equity Market
- 25st - Quality of Air Transport Infrastructure
- 29th – PCT Patents, applications/million pop.
- 34rd – Availability of Financial Services
- 34th Goods Market Efficiency
- 35th - Higher Education & Training
33rd – Malta’s ranking out of 169 countries in the Human Development Report
Quality of Life
1st – Malta is rated as having the best climate worldwide by International Living Magazine
3rd – The island nation’s overall ranking in the 2011 Quality of Life Index
15th - Most democratic country (out of 167)
January 1st (New Year’s Day)
February 10th (St Paul’s Shipwreck)
March 19th (St Joseph)
March 31st (Freedom Day)
April 10th (Good Friday)
May 1st (Worker’s Day)
June 7th (Sette Giugno)
June 29th (St Peter & St Paul)
August 15th (Assumption)
September 8th (Victory Day)
September 21st (Independence Day)
December 8th (Immaculate Conception)
December 13th (Republic Day)
December 25th (Christmas Day)
Download the Malta Basic Data by following the link below.